Get Your Pool Summer Ready!June 9, 2016 BFR Staff
IS YOUR POOL SUMMER READY?
Our PolyLevel® Injections can fix your sinking or cracked concrete pool slab!
The rain has finally cleared and its time to enjoy those pools! If sinking or cracked concrete pool slab has you worried about safety concerns, call Baird today to set up a no-cost evaluation.
Let’s discuss options for homeowners wanting to fix their sinking slab pool deck.
Before the options are addressed, homeowners need to know what slab settlement is and its various causes.
Simply stated, slab settlement is the movement a concrete slab experiences when the soil below can no longer support the weight of it. Most likely the soil under the slab has changed or, as in South Texas, the soils shift and the content is too sandy to support the pool slab weight.
There can be many reasons why the soil below your sinking slab has changed.
- Changes in the soil’s moisture content
- Wash-out of soil under the slab
- Poorly compacted fill soil (one of the most common reasons why)
Now that you know the reasons why sinking slabs occur, there are a few options for repair.
Mudjacking is an old fashioned method for leveling concrete. It involves drilling a series of large holes throughout the concrete slab, and a cement slurry, or mud, is pumped beneath the slab to fill the void and attempt to lift the slab.
- Pros: temporarily lifts concrete slabs
- Cons: the slurry is very messy, large holes (2-3”) are drilled in the concrete slab, can take days to cure, and the cement slurry is extremely heavy which can potentially cause the problem to become worse
Total Concrete Replacement:
In order to replace concrete, the existing concrete slabs must first be removed. Typically a jack hammer is used to break up the existing concrete slabs into pieces. Often times heavy equipment is needed (such as a backhoe or skid steer) to remove the concrete debris. A fresh layer of concrete is then poured.
- Pros: new slab
- Cons: the original cause of the problem was never fixed (failing soil), expensive and very disruptive to the property and pool, new concrete takes days to cure, this is a seasonal option
The PolyLEVEL® System is a state of the art approach to repairing sinking concrete. PolyLEVEL® takes the original concept of mudjacking and combines it with modern knowledge and technology. Rather than using a mixture of mud and concrete, this method utilizes high-density polymers to raise slabs back to a desired level. Small holes (penny-sized) are drilled in the sinking slab, structural grade polymers are then injected under the slab. After the void has been filled, the expansion of the polyurethane allows for a precise lift and stabilization of the once sinking slab.
- Pros: smaller holes (penny-sized), no disruption, 15 minute cure time, inexpensive waterproof material, environmentally friendly, five year warranty and can be used year-round
- Cons: ultraviolet light can eventually break down polymers over time
MudJacking and total concrete replacement are usually not viable options for homeowners wanting to enjoy their pool this summer. In most cases the PolyLEVEL® System can be installed in less than one day, allowing homeowners to enjoy their summer sitting pool-side!
Don’t put it off! Call us today to setup your no-cost PolyLevel® Evaluation! We have two South Texas locations in San Antonio and Corpus Christi — ready to serve you.concrete leveling , concrete repair , concrete replacement , cracked concrete , mudjacking , pool deck , south texas , summertime